December 31, 2017

The 2017 Ride

Phew! What a year it has been! Yes, yet another blog post looking back on the past 365 days.


In summary, 2017 marks some of the highest points in our lives but it has also marked the lowest points in our lives (read: our). I'm a married woman now, mind you. :)

All those who know me would know I hold these dearly - Family, Friendships, Food. I've had quite a fair bit of learnings so here they are -

Giving back to Daddy Mummy, my then Fiancé and I started off with an all expense paid trip to Phuket. It was also the first time he drove on a foreign land after much convincing cus I felt it would be help make us more mobile and be able to explore the island better.

Weather was fantastic and we only have the Good Lord to thank!


With the promotion in October 2016, came a rewarding experience @ Nobu. It was a dining experience I've read only on Timothy Tiah's blog, never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined myself taking lifts after lifts (the size of the lifts gets bigger each time haha) to the 56th floor of Menara 3 Petronas.

Thank you, bosses!



The view to help with digestion...



Chinese New Year came sooner than expected and it was a rather heavy hearted one. It was my last one back home as Miss Foo. I look forward to spending it the Wooi's way but there will always be a tug in my heart missing the FooLeeQuah clan and spending time chilling around with my one and only sister.



The favourite three faces I will miss so dearly on the eve and first day of Chinese New Year. To think of it on the bright side, Daddy Mummy will now have a new daughter, my sister in law hehe :)



Second trip of the year was to Melbourne and it was the best decision made. Thank you, Mama Wooi! The plan was the help board Ken's sister who will be on a semester abroad programme. Side plan was then to do some site seeing and take some "pre wedding photos". We didn't hire any professional photographers because look how well the photos were taken by Mama Wooi and Jenn! Photos all taken with the Huawei P9.







February was an exceptionally short month, duh... and we made time pass by even faster with jam packed arrangements. Upon our return and freshly sun tanned, we had our Registry of Marriage the next day!



Legally married, signed and sealed on paper.





10 days later... I got a call from Ken in the late afternoon. I was told awhile ago he was walking into a meeting with one of the management's representatives.

The voice on the other line carried defeat, “Guess what? You were right”. His whole team were laid off in under 2 hours notice where all company’s proprietary had to be surrendered before 6pm.

It was one of those odd circumstances where it sucked being right.

For an individual who has aspired to deliver only the best, he who emphasises on making friends and allies than having enemies, the one who tries to approach difficult stakeholders even when told otherwise…

He was never once angry but rather, disappointed. When you think you’ve done your best to resolve the tension amongst parties, yet you are an inevitable element to the masterplan - A Convenient Dismissal. I guess that was what hit him.

There were many flaws of injustice in this situation, e.g. what offences have they committed that no warning letter(s) were due; was it a crime that 24 hours notice was too much to ask for; how could this happen to such a stable industry (read: Education); most importantly, is this in accordance to Labour Law or the Employment Act?

He could’ve done all that, yet, he chose to retreat, reflect and refresh.

You may say this is the most interesting bit of the entire post. I'm sure you're right. Everyone likes dwelling in negativity. But not my husband.

It was an eye opening experience for this 29 y/o man I'm proud to call mine. He even comforted and reassured me everyday that he is fine when I know deep down, he was so crushed. He is an individual with a high level of self awareness despite being a free thinker. We said our prayers and trusted in God to provide. He was always there to be the Amen to my prayers even if he only knew the God faintly through me.

18 days later, #LynnOnKen happened. We were ceremoniously married! :) I've a draft blog post but never got around to posting it because it is half baked. Perhaps I should sit down and get it done by our first anniversary.

Here is a typical look my husband gives when I set off on one of my cheeky adventures hehe


Clearly our favourite shot from our Garden Wedding


This for us, was the greatest highlight (positive one la) for us. Being married to my best friend, the one whom I love holding hands with, stare at while he drives and shoulders I want to rest on my whole life.

He was jobless, as dramatic as it sounds - kicked out of his job. Not the best circumstance to get married but we are grateful for the support and kind words extended to him especially during the darkest days of 2017. Me being at work sucked, because I was constantly worried if he was alright, how he felt waking up that morning, losing his source of income - a job he took pride in.

His vow to me was FIVE things he desired of me - to S M I L E (it's an abbreviation), while mine to him was K E N.

#LynnOnKen was perfect. It was exactly what we wanted and more that we didn't knew we wanted. I had a fairytale wedding in mind - Santorini, Greece. None of that materialised and at the end of the day, I'm glad we chose this wedding weekend we had in Ipoh.



Closest of family and friends who really mattered made so much effort to be there for us. Sure, the wedding banquet was mostly Papa Wooi's friends but it was simply so much fun to see all those who mattered enjoyed themselves. Ken and I were barely tired out at the end of the day. Our hearts were so so so full from the love extended to us. The hugs and words blessed upon our union as one... with Basetime Production capturing us so well. Till today, we still watch our wedding video (thank God for internet haha) and find it simply us!



Big thank you to my dearest sister for being such great help throughout the wedding. I know I am not the easiest person to deal with, but thank you for your patience and never once complained. Is it maybe because I brought you to the best foodie joints in Ipoh? Haha! Jokes aside, love you very much and you'll always be on my mind even if we miss each other at grams' place :) you're truly a gem in my life.


Our third trip for 2017 was for our honeymoon - back to our favourite place on earth.

We extended beyond London and explored more of the Northern side - Manchester, Edinburgh and Isle of Skye. They were each magical.

This was at Fairy Pools in Skye. Have I mentioned that the Good Lord was extra kind to have blessed us with perfect weather throughout our 2 weeks honeymoon? Edin and Skye are infamously known for its gloominess. LOL




Him being a kid on the Manchester United stadium tour. We even scored ourselves match tickets hehe




I also chopped off a HUGE tonne of my locks post #LynnOnKen.

Here's my husband being a goof as usual. hehe I think I married a clown.


Two of my closest friends also tied the knot this year!

A close college buddy married her best friend at a beach side wedding. Such a beautiful moment to witness their love coming together as one.


The lovebirds who have dated for 13 years, since we were in Form 2... I can only say, FINALLY!!!! hahaha



At her bridal shower



Most of all, my first of all best friends ceremoniously found a soulmate who would love him in good and bad times. Kor & 大嫂, wishing the both of you a blissful marriage ahead!



With every chance of friendship, comes the time to part. 2017 saw two farewells at work that was for the better.







Nuff said. 2018 leaves me uncertain, but a reminder to self that I have seen more back in my professional practice days. To stay steadfast in my goals, that is what I will march towards! :)

I also owe a great deal to my team at work who has been ever so supportive and more so, to a boss who aspires to inspire and relate to each of us. It is not easy being a boss like that because it drains you sometimes more than the rewards reaped.

Wayne, you inspire me for what I can be in the future.
Eugene, your drive for success is admirable.
Vanessa, your genuine warmth fuels me.

Here's a photo to prove that unfit people like me can survive the Extreme Skytrex Challenge! Haha Of course, not without my fair share of screams that echoes through the park.



That very much sums up 2017 for me.

2018 remains a land of unknown and I shall welcome it with open arms, gratitude, tolerance and to never lose faith in humanity.



Thank you for going through your toughest times with me, Bii.
No more you and me, just us. I love you.
To SMILE while we KEN for the rest of our lives together.



Till then, XOXO.

1 comment :

lifeisasunflower said...

Beautiful post. May God's blessing be with you throughout 2018 n the years ahead in every areas of yourlife. ❤